Even though I am half Polish, I didn’t grow up eating a lot of Polish food. I don’t think I had a pierogi until a few years ago even. Why I have had a kielbasa and pierogi craving for the last couple of weeks is beyond me, but I’m glad I did because this recipe is delicious!
Grilled Pierogis with Kielbasa
Just the Tip / Inspired by Seasoned to Taste
Here’s what I used:
- 1 pound kielbasa (I used nitrate-free turkey kielbasa from trader joe’s), cut into 4 pieces and butterflied
- 2 tbsp whole-grain dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 4 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, cut into wedges
- 1 pound frozen potato-and-cheddar pierogi (do not thaw)
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped fresh parsley
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat a grill to medium or light your charcoals. Butterfly the kielbasa pieces open so that both the inside and outside get charred. Grill the kielbasa, turning, until charred and split, 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer to a plate and set aside.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mustard and vinegar in a large bowl. Slowly whisk in 2 tbsp olive oil until smooth.
- In a large bowl, toss the onion and pierogies with the remaining 2 tbsp olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill, covered, until the pierogies thaw and are soft in middle and the onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Turn the pierogies and onion and continue to grill, covered, until the pierogies are cooked through and the onion is tender, about 5 more minutes.
- Add the kielbasa, pierogies and onion to the bowl with the mustard dressing. Season with salt and pepper and toss gently. Add the parsley and serve.