Brian and I are both feeling a bit under the weather so I thought soup was in order. I sifted through dozens of tomato soup recipes and I finally just threw my hands up and winged it. It turned out perfect and I’ll definitely be making this again.
Creamy Tomato Basil Soup
What I used:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped shallots
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- pinch allspice
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 28-oz cans crushed tomatoes (I used tuttorosso brand, but san marzano would have been ideal)
- 2 cups low-sodium organic chicken broth
- salt, black pepper
- 1/3 cup cream
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced basil
- shaved parmesan cheese for garnish
What I did:
- Heat the olive oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute for a few minutes, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add a pinch of allspice and the tomato paste. Let the tomato paste caramelize on the bottom of the pot for a minute or two before adding the crushed tomatoes and chicken broth. Season with a good pinch of salt and pepper.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat back to a simmer and let bubble for 20 minutes.
- Stir in the cream and basil and serve with some shaved parmesan.