This breakfast was sooooo good — perfect for a day when I’m home sick with a little bit of a cold. The only good thing about feeling crappy and being home is that I get to make a slightly more involved breakfast than I would on a normal weekday. Since I bought a package of about 2,000 tortillas as Costco last week, I’ve been trying to come up with ways to use ’em up. Now, I’ve certainly made egg quesadillas before, and I’m usually less than impressed. I think it’s because they seem too wet or something — probably from the scrambled eggs. The over-easy egg is definitely the way to go! Throw in some cheese, bacon, and black beans — YUM. Combine this with the fact that Feds circa 1988 is on TV right now (one of my favorite movies ever!), I’m a happy, albeit sick, girl.
Bacon & Egg Quesadillas
Just the Tip / Inspired by Rachael Ray
What I used:
- 2 medium whole grain tortillas (I just trimmed the larger ones I bought a couple of inches around the outside)
- 2 eggs
- 1 slice nitrate-free bacon
- 2 tbsp shredded pepper jack cheese
- 1/4 cup canned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 1 scallion, sliced
- greek yogurt and guacamole (I wish I had this) for garnishes
What I did:
- Cook the bacon in a frying pan until crispy on both sides. Drain on paper towel. Drain the pan from any bacon fat and wipe it clean.
- Lay the tortillas out on a work surface and sprinkle the bottom half of each tortilla with the cheese and beans. Slice the bacon in half and place on half slice on top of the cheese and beans.
- Heat the same pan over medium heat and spray it with nonstick spray. Crack each egg into the pan, season with salt and pepper, and cook gently for a couple of minutes on each side. Lay 1 egg on each tortilla and fold it in half.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in the frying pan. Cook the quesadillas for a few minutes on each side until lightly crisped and the cheese has melted. Sprinkle with scallions and serve with greek yogurt.