It’s been a rough 24 hours for our little family. Last night, our little baby Pickle suddenly passed away. Pickle, our 5-year old calico kitty with giant double paws that looked like oven mitts, a ridiculous love of dairy (especially laughing cow cheese), and even more ridiculous fear of heights. Pickle, buddy to “little brother” Bert and lap-sitter on anyone who walked through our doors.
She was a pretty special cat and kept me company through a lot of good and bad times, so we’re really mourning this loss in our family. Our other sweet cat, Bert, was loyally by her side as she was failing, and he is noticeably upset today — not knowing quite what to do with himself.
What does all of this pity party have to do with Buffalo Chicken Tacos? Well, nothing, really, except for the fact that this is what I made for dinner tonight and for a moment, both Brian and I were happy, enjoying our yummy meal, and not thinking about the sad thing that has so quickly changed our lives. Make this next time you need a distraction – it works.
Buffalo Chicken Tacos
Inspired by Mrs. Regueiro’s Plate
What I used:
- 1 pound chicken breasts, cut into 1″ pieces
- 1/3 cup flour (I used white whole wheat flour)
- 3 tbsp cornstarch
- scant 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ⅓ cup buffalo wing sauce (I am a recent convert of Texas Pete’s Buffalo Wing)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- corn tortillas (8-10, depending on appetite)
- cilantro (garnish)
- sliced scallions (garnish)
- 1/2 avocado, cubed (garnish)
- ranch or blue cheese dressing (garnish)
What I did:
- In a medium bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch, garlic powder, and cayenne. Add the chicken to the flour mixture and toss to coat completely.
- Heat 1 tbsp of olive oil in a large saute pan or dutch oven (I like the dutch oven because of the splatter factor). Add half of your chicken (shake off the excess flour) into the pan and brown on all sides (should only take a couple of minutes on each side). Remove that batch to a bowl and cook up the rest of the chicken. Remove that to the same bowl and pour over the buffalo sauce.
- Build your tacos! Microwave the tortillas for 30-45 seconds with a damp papertowel over top. Lay each tortillas out, add chicken, pour over a little dressing, and sprinkle the avocado, cilantro, and scallions.