These babies are our new best friend. I made a big batch of these on Sunday, wrapped them in plastic wrap, threw them in the freezer, and POOF, a hot, homemade breakfast that we could bring to work with us and reheat in no time. I made these with chicken sausage, but you could literally put anything you like in them. I am going to do a batch of bacon, egg, and cheese next week and another veggie filled batch in the very near future.
Let’s run through it:
Everyone knows how to make scrambled eggs, right? Low heat, be patient, after a few minutes, stir with a rubber spatula constantly until they’re just cooked. Season with salt and pepper after they’re cooked. Add the cheese and let melt while you’re stirring it. Yum.
Lay out your assembly line of tortillas and fixins. Update: I have made these a bunch of times and now I just stir the salsa and cheese right into the egg/sausage mixture. So much easier!
Make Ahead Frozen Breakfast Burritos
Makes 10-15 burritos, depending on size
Inspired by Iowa Girl Eats and Avid Appetite
5-6 ww pts+ each (depending on how many burritos you yield – the more burritos the few the points of each!)
What I used:
- 10-15 whole grain, low carb tortillas (I buy a big bag at Costco)
- 8 whole eggs + 4 egg whites
- 6 oz 50% cabot reduced fat sharp cheddar, shredded
- 1/2 jar store-bought salsa
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped (not pictured)
- 3 links chicken or turkey sausage, removed from casings
- salt, pepper, cooking spray
What I did:
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs and egg whites. Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-low heat and spray with cooking spray. Pour the eggs in and let sit for 2-3 minutes to allow the larger curds to form. After a few minutes, stir constantly with a rubber spatula until almost cooked. Sprinkle in the cheese, continue stirring until the eggs are just cooked. Remove to a plate.
- Heat the pan over medium heat and spray with more cooking spray. Squish the sausage out of its casings and crumble until cooked thoroughly.
- Remove the sausage from the pan. Saute the onion and bell pepper for 7-8 minutes until tender.Once everything is cooked, add the eggs and sausage back into the pan and mix it all together. Pour in the salsa and cheese and mix together.
- Lay out your tortillas. Spoon an equal amount of the sausage/egg mixture in each. Roll up, wrap in plastic wrap, and store in the freezer until you’re ready to eat.
- To re-heat, remove the plastic wrap, loosely wrap in a paper towel, and micro for 2.5-3 minutes until hot.