I made these for a family BBQ and they were a hit. I just made the meat mixture and sauce ahead of time and baked them off when I got to my parents house, then tossed them in the sauce. Poof – instant appetizer.
Saucy Asian Meatballs
Just the Tip / Inspired by Gimme Some Oven
Makes 35-40 meatballs
What I used:
For the meatballs:
- 2 lbs ground pork (I might try ground turkey next time)
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 cup Panko or breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 2 eggs
- 3-4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced scallions
For the sauce:
- 2/3 cup hoisin sauce
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 garlic cloves, grated (or minced)
- 2 tbsp reduced-sodium soy sauce
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 tsp ground ginger
For the garnish:
- sesame seeds
- sliced scallions
What I did:
- In a large bowl, mix together meatball ingredients until well-combined. Lay a cooling rack on top of a backing sheet and spray with nonstick spray. Shape the meat mixture into 1″ balls and and place on a the cooling rack so that they’re not touching.
- When ready to cook the meatballs, preheat oven to 400. Roast for 12 minutes, then broil for a couple of minutes to develop a nice, brown crust. Meanwhile, combine all sauce ingredients until well blended.
- Once the meatballs have finished cooking, transfer them to a large bowl and pour over the sauce mixture, stirring gently until the balls are well coated. Sprinkle with sesame seeds and sliced scallions and serve.