It’s the age old question. What to do with a ton of leftover pulled pork. I’ve been pretty inventive with this dilemma in the past (pulled pork sweet potato waffle cheese fries, pork stuffed peppers, porky cornbread). This time, I craved pizza (shocking). The crispy multigrain crust (Hannaford has a yummy one…so does Whole Foods) holds up really well to the pulled pork and the jalapenos puts it over the top with a fresh punch.
BBQ Pulled Pork and Jalapeno Pizza
Just the Tip
What I used:
- 1 ball multigrain pizza dough, rested at room temp for 1/2 hour before rolling out
- leftover bbq pulled pork (about 2 cups)
- barbeque sauce (Stubbs!) (about 1 cup – enough to lightly cover the dough)
- 1 cup low-fat shredded cheddar
- 1 cup part-skim shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup “tamed” jalapenos or one fresh jalapeno, seeded and sliced
- kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
- olive oil for drizzling and cornmeal for dusting on the pizza stone
- 1 onion, sliced
What I did:
- Place a pizza stone or baking sheet in the oven and preheat it to 450. While the oven is preheating, saute the onion in a frying pan until tender. Set aside.
- Roll out the pizza dough to the same size of your vessel (pizza stone or baking sheet). Once the oven and vessel are preheated, remove the stone (or sheet) from the oven and sprinkle it with a little cornmeal. Transfer the dough to the pizza stone and brush on the bbq sauce. Add the pulled pork on top of the bbq sauce in an even layer. Top the pork with the onions and jalapenos, season with salt and pepper, and top with the cheddar and mozzarella. Bake the pizza for 12-14 minutes until the crust is crispy and the cheese is melted. Drizzle with olive oil, slice, and serve.