I’m not sure where this craving came from, but I really wanted some sort of warm salad. Hot lettuce may sound like an odd choice, but I tell you, it was delicious. It may be my go-to salad from now on.
Roasted Romaine: Caesar Style
Just the Tip
What I used:
- 2 heads of romaine lettuce, cut in half lengthwise
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 anchovies in oil, drained
- 1 large garlic clove, minced or grated
- pinch crushed red chili flakes
- juice from 1/2 lemon
- freshly ground black pepper
- parmigiano reggiano
What I did:
- Lay the heads of lettuce on a baking sheet and roast in a 450 oven for 5-6 minutes.
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a small saute pan. Add the garlic, anchovies, and chili flakes and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring often so the garlic doesn’t burn. Break the anchovies up with a wooden spoon until they melt into the olive oil. Remove from heat.
- Pour/brush the olive oil completely over the roasted romaine. Squeeze the lemon juice over top of the lettuce, sprinkle with freshly grated parmesan cheese, and season with freshly cracked black pepper.