This sandwich is a favorite in our house. It’s a great option for a vegetarian meal that still feels substantial. Just grill up your veggies of choice (I did zucchini, onions, and roasted red pepper, but eggplant would be a great addition/ substitution), layer on some pesto and provolone cheese. Use a panini press (I used my beloved Griddler) or a pan with heavy pan on top of the sandwich to press down until the sandwich is pressed and crispy and the cheese has melted.
Grilled Veggie Pesto Panini
Just the Tip
What I used:
- 9″ herbed focaccia
- 2-3 medium zucchini, sliced length-wise thinly
- 2-3 1/2″ thick slices of onion
- 1 small jar (8 oz or so) roasted red peppers, drained and patted dry
- salt, pepper, herbes de provence
- olive oil for brushing vegetables
- 1/4 lb deli provolone
- 1/4 cup basil pesto (Trader Joe’s)
What I did:
- Brush zucchini with olive oil on both sides and season with salt, pepper, and herbes de provence on both sides. Grill zucchini and onion until very tender, but not falling apart (about 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness).
- Slice the focaccia in half so you have 2 big, flat circles. Remove some of the soft inner bread from the inside to make room for the filling. Discard the extra bread.
- Spread 2 tbsp pesto on each inner side of bread. Lay the red bell peppers, zucchini, onion, and provolone on the bottom piece of bread and top with the second half. Grill/griddle/panini press for 10 or so minutes until the bread is crispy and the cheese has melted.