This is one of my favorite breakfasts. I usually make a big batch (double this recipe) on Sunday to put into 8 individual containers for Brian and I to take to work with us for breakfast. Reheating for a couple of minutes in the microwave makes the blueberries warm and sweet and tasting exactly like blueberry pie.
Blueberry Pie Oatmeal
Just the Tip / Inspired by Oh She Glows
Serves 4 (1 cup servings)
What I used:
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups unsweetened almond milk
- 1 cup uncooked steel-cut oats
- 1 large banana, mashed (about 1 cup mashed)
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp ground flax
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- splash vanilla extract
- 1/2 pint fresh blueberries
What I did:
- Bring the water and almond milk to a boil in a medium pot. Once boiling, add in the steel-cut oats, a pinch of salt, and reduce the heat to low. Add in the mashed banana, ground flax, and chia seeds.
- Simmer uncovered on low for 20-25 minutes, stirring every few minutes.
- When the oats cooked and the consistency you like, remove from heat and stir in cinnamon and pure vanilla extract, and another pinch of salt, to taste. Serve with fresh or frozen (thawed) berries.