Mediterranean Rice Salad
Just the Tip
What I used:
- 2 cups raw arborio rice (or other short grain rice)
- 4 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 14oz can artichoke hearts, drained and quartered
- 1 14oz can chick peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 eggplant, sliced into 1/2-inch circles
- 1/2 red onion, diced
- 1 cup pitted kalamata olives, roughly chopped
- 1 cup italian parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 cup diced feta
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- dried oregano, salt, pepper
What I did:
- For the dressing, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, and season, to taste, with oregano, salt, and pepper. Set aside.
- Bring chicken broth to a boil in a large pot. Add rice, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes or until all of liquid has been absorbed. Fluff with a fork. Pour half of the dressing over the hot rice so the flavors will absorb into the rice.
- Brush the eggplant with a little olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Grill eggplant until tender, about 5 minutes on each side.
- In a large bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, including the remaining dressing, with the rice and stir well.