Um, this dish is amazing. I’m so excited about it that I feel like that’s all I can say…but I’ll try to expound a little. Roasted and shredded spaghetti squash perfectly imitates those mushy pad thai noodles. The sauce is perfection and made from ingredients that are probably in your cabinet. This is such a healthy and hearty dish because of the sheer mass of vegetables. New favorite dinner, hands down.
Spaghetti Squash Chicken Pad Thai
Just the Tip / Adapted from Stuff We Ate
What I used:
- 2 spaghetti squash
- 1 head bok choy, diced
- 3 carrots, thinly sliced (mandoline is best, or just as thin as you can slice them)
- 4 raw chicken breasts, cubed (or you could use a rotisserie chicken from the store)
- 2 tbsp oil (I used grapeseed, but canola would be fine), divided
- 3 cloves garlic, minced or grated
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/2 cup peanut butter (I prefer Teddie’s)
- 1/4 cup rice wine vinegar
- 6 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- chopped roasted peanuts, sliced scallions, cilantro & lime wedges for garnish (don’t skip this!)
What I did:
- Preheat oven to 400. Pierce each spaghetti squash with a sharp knife or fork along several times. Cook each spaghetti squash in the microwave for 3-4 minutes, turning halfway through. Cut each spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and scoop out and throw away the seeds.
- Drizzle the insides of the spaghetti squash with olive oil and season generously with salt and pepper. Roast cut-side up (this is key to prevent mushiness) for 45 minutes. Once the squash is tender, remove from oven and pull the flesh of the squash with a fork to separate the strands. Add the squash to a large bowl and set aside.
- Heat 1 tbsp of oil in a large (seriously, the largest you own), high-sided skillet over medium-high heat. Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Once the pan is hot, cook the chicken in batches until cooked through. Remove the cooked chicken to a plate and set aside.
- Heat the remaining tbsp of oil in the pan over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and saute for 1 minute. Add the carrots and bok choy, season with salt, and saute for a few minutes until slightly softened. Remove the veg to the same bowl as the spaghetti squash.
- To the skillet, add the chicken broth, peanut butter, soy sauce, and rice wine vinegar and whisk together until smooth. Add more chicken broth if it isn’t loose enough. Return the squash and other veggies as well as the chicken to the pan. Toss everything around until it’s all well coated.
- Serve with with peanuts, cilantro, scallion, and a squeeze of lime juice.