This recipe comes from Giada De Laurentiis’s book, Feel Good Food, which I totally love and have been cooking from a lot lately.
For this recipe you can use any type of whole grain tortilla you like. I found some low-carb whole grain roll-ups at Costco (Damascus brand) that are perfect for this.
Egg, Kale, and Hummus Breakfast Wraps
Recipe adapted from Giada’s Feel Good Food
8 ww pts+
What I used:
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp fresh chopped thyme
- 1 large shallot, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- handful cherry tomatoes, halved (about a cup)
- 4 oz raw kale, chopped (ribs/stem removed)
- salt, pepper, whole nutmeg, crushed red pepper flake
- 2 eggs
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, sliced
- 2 tbsp hummus, divided
- 2 whole wheat tortillas, wraps, or lavash
What I did:
- In a large frying pan, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Bring a small pot of water to a simmer.
- Once the oil is heated, add the tomatoes, shallot, garlic, thyme, and a small pinch of red pepper flakes. Season with a little salt and pepper and saute for a few minutes until the tomatoes start to break down. Add the kale, season with salt, pepper, and some grated nutmeg, and saute for another couple of minutes until the kale is wilted and vibrant green.
- Meanwhile, poach your eggs. I prefer to bring the water to a simmer, crack each egg separately in a fine mesh mini-strainer, swipe away some of the loose egg whites that fall through the strainer, and then transfer gently to the simmering water. Let the eggs simmer for 4 minutes. Remove the eggs with a slotted spoon and pat dry.
- While the eggs are cooking, lightly toast each tortilla either on a gas range burner or under the broiler. Spread the hummus over each toasted tortilla, top with the sauteed kale mixture, and sprinkle on the sliced basil. Top with a poached egg, slit the yolks and scatter the egg across the tortilla. Roll up and serve.