I’m bumping this post up from the archives (2010!). This is my go-to grilled chicken every summer. Feel free to switch up the cuts of chicken – sometimes I”ll use a mix of thin breasts and thighs, sometimes breasts only. Mix it up, go nuts.
Honey Mustard BBQ Chicken
serves 4 / adapted from Rachael Ray book All-Occasion 30 minute meal book
Here’s what I used:
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 1/2 small red onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 1/4 tsp curry powder
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 2 tbsp dijon mustard
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4-6 boneless skinless chicken thighs or chicken breast cutlets
- Salt and pepper
Here’s what I did:
- In a small sauce pan, heat up the canola oil over medium heat. Add the onion, season with a little salt, and saute for 5 minutes or so. Add the vinegar and cook for a minute or 2 until slightly reduced. Whisk in brown sugar, honey, mustard, chicken broth, curry powder, and all spice. Bring to a bubble, then reduce to the lowest heat setting to thicken. Set aside.
- Heat up a grill or grill pan over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt & pepper on both sides. Grill the chicken for 5 minutes on the first side.
- After 5 minutes, flip the chicken and baste the cooked side with the sauce (don’t baste the raw chicken or you will contaminate the sauce). Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Flip again, baste again, and cook for another 2-3 minutes until done. Let rest for a few minutes, and serve with your favorite summery sides.