Portability. This is the exact thing I need during a busy workweek to keep me from hitting the dreaded drive-thru on my hour+ commute to work. Something I can grab on my way out the door and know that when I finally reach my office, I can zap a piece of this casserole and enjoy a legitimate breakfast on the fly. This casserole is perfect for this – AND, it’s low-carb and only about 250 calories per serving. I’ve made it twice in as many weeks an I can see it as a regular in our menu plan. Eggs, cubed ham steak, broccoli, cheese – easy peasy. Make a big dish of this on Sunday, cut into 8 squares, and you’ve got breakfast for you and your mate for 80% of the workweek. I might get drive-thru crap on the 5th day when we run out, but that’s harm reduction at its best. Right?
Broccoli, Ham, and Cheese Breakfast Casserole
Serves 8Just the Tip / Recipe from Kalyn’s Kitchen
What I used:
8 cups small broccoli florets
1 lb diced ham steak (I buy 3-packs at Costco and freeze what I don’t need)
1 cup reduced-fat shredded cheddar
1/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
1 bunch sliced scallion (about 1 cup)
- hot sauce (I used chalula)
salt and freshly ground black pepper
low-fat sour cream or greek yogurt for serving
What I did:
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Preheat oven to 375. Spray a 9×12 baking dish with cooking spray.
- Cut broccoli into very small florets and drop in salted, boiling water and cook for 2 minutes. Drain well.
- Lay the blanched broccoli along the bottom of the baking dish. Season the broccoli with salt and pepper.
- Scatter the ham, scallions, and cheddar and parmesan on top of the broccoli.
- In a large bowl, crack and beat the eggs well. Season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Evenly pour the beaten eggs over the broccoli mixture and poke with a spatula to make sure the egg is well incorporated.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes until the eggs are no longer liquid.