Gimme Lean vegetarian sausage is one of my favorite swaps for real sausage. It is low-cal, fat, sugar, and cholesterol free, and has a great sausagey flavor and texture. I’ve used it in sweeter/breakfast applications and in pasta dishes with great success. These sausage balls are doughy and cheesy and are a fantastic appetizer (or breakfast with some maple syrup!). Enjoy!
Cheesy Faux Sausage Balls
Just the Tip / Inspired by Plain Chicken
Yield: 18 balls
Here’s what I used:
- 1 14-oz package gimme lean vegetarian sausage
- 8 oz light cream cheese, at room temp
- 1 1/4 cups Heart Smart Bisquick
- 4 oz sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1 tbsp canola oil
Here’s what I did:
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Mix all of the ingredients together in a large bowl. My advice: get someone else to do this part for you — suuuper sticky! 🙂
- Roll into 1-inch balls and bake for 20-25 minutes until golden brown.